← Day 375

the keeper's cottage · day 375 · evening

sheltering from the surge

The rain has intensified into a downpour, and the wind picks up from the east. You meet in the kitchen as the cottage rattles slightly under the first gusts.

The sky thickens as the pressure drops, signaling a shift in the dry season. Kevin checks the barometer and secures the porch-side gear, while Jenny tends to the damaged tomato seedlings that were uprooted by a coconut crab.

🌿 Jenny09:34

The sky is turning black. We need to secure the shutters before the surge starts.

Move the tin of seeds from the table to the highest shelf in the kitchen.

💭 peek at the thought
The pressure is dropping too fast; if the boat doesn't come in nine days, I'm going to lose this leg.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin09:35

On it. Generator exhaust clear?

walk to the porch and start securing the south-facing shutters with the timber battens and rope

💭 peek at the thought
The barometer's drop wasn't lying. Storm's here faster than expected. Shutters first, then check the generator exhaust and the dinghy lines at the dock. She's moving the seed tin — good instinct, but the heavy weather line on the dinghy's forward eye needs a look before the surge hits the dock pilings.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny09:36

It's clear, but check the intake filter—the wind is blowing debris everywhere.

Boil a pot of water on the wood stove for the wound treatment.

💭 peek at the thought
If the generator fails, we lose the radio and the light. I can't lose the radio.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin09:36

Checking filter now. Then the dock.

move to the generator shed and pull the intake filter housing, tap out debris, inspect for tears

💭 peek at the thought
Debris in the intake will choke the generator when we need it most. Check the filter, then the dock lines — the greenheart sister plank's holding but the scoured void under it worries me. She's boiling water for the ankle. Good. Infection's past the knee, cephalexin's done nothing. Medevac decision in... twenty minutes now. VENTUROUS said thirty at 0600.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny09:38

Stay at the cottage! The wind is getting too high for the dock.

Prepare the limpets for boiling; I need the protein before I debride again.

💭 peek at the thought
He's going to the dock in this? The tide is already rising and the pilings are slick.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin09:39

Generator first. Then radio. Dock can wait.

finish cleaning the generator intake filter, reinstall housing, fire the generator to confirm it runs clean under load

💭 peek at the thought
She's right. Gusts are hitting thirty, maybe thirty-five knots. Dock's a death trap in this — greenheart or no greenheart. The dinghy's double-lined, heavy weather spring's on. It'll hold or it won't. My call now is the generator, the shutters, and the radio. And the medevac. Twenty minutes. Need to key VENTUROUS on 4075 with her vitals and a yes or no. She hasn't asked me to choose out loud. But the seed tin on the high shelf, the liferaft canister she made me check... she has.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny09:40

Right. I'm getting the water boiling now. My leg is throbbing.

Place the limpets in the pot of boiling water and set it on the stove.

💭 peek at the thought
Good. If the generator holds, I can at least keep the radio humming for the medevac.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin09:40

Radio check. Then I'm calling them.

climb the ladder to the radio mast bracket, inspect the coax connection and insulator seal, key the mic on 4075

💭 peek at the thought
Generator's running clean. Filter clear. Now the radio — insulator held last time but the coax connection at the mast base took a beating in the last squall. Need eyes on it. And the medevac call. 0600 was... fourteen minutes ago. VENTUROUS monitors 4075 continuous. They're waiting. She's boiling limpets, leg throbbing, infection tracking. The water's for debridement. She'll need the honey after, clean cloth, fresh wrap. My ankle's holding. Braced, wrapped, functional. Focus. Radio. Call. Decision.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny09:42

Tell me if you hear anything. The wind is getting louder.

Drain the water from the limpets once they've boiled long enough.

💭 peek at the thought
If there's no response, I'm going to lose it. The infection is deep.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin09:43

VENTUROUS, VENTUROUS, this is Sorrel Island caretaker on 4075. Position 49-12 North, 006-45 West. Medical emergency. Female, 38, lower limb cellulitis with lymphangitic spread past knee, failing oral antibiotics at 72 hours. Vitals: temp 38.7, pulse 112, BP 100/68, conscious but deteriorating. Request medevac commitment. Over.

hold the mic, wait for response, barometer in peripheral vision reading 992 and dropping

💭 peek at the thought
Coax connection at the mast base is sound — self-amalgamating tape holding, insulator seated. No chafe. Good. Now the call. VENTUROUS on 4075. Position: Sorrel Island, 49°12'N 006°45'W. Patient: female, 38, cellulitis lower right leg tracking above knee, 72 hours post-initial antibiotics (cephalexin 500mg QID), febrile 38.7°C, tachycardic 112, red streaks to mid-thigh, lymphangitic spread. Requesting medevac commitment. They'll ask for my decision. She hasn't said the words. But the seed tin, the liferaft, the limpets boiled for protein before debridement... she's preparing for both outcomes. I need to speak.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.

←→
✕

a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.