← Day 73

the keeper's cottage · day 73 · midday

The wait for the boat

The two return to the shade of the porch to discuss the dwindling water levels and the status of the engine.

Kevin works to patch the shortwave radio insulator using self-amalgamating tape and the spare porcelain. Jenny heads to the north ridge to continue the Carex transect while the south-east wind picks up.

🌿 Jenny04:03

The engine is fine, Kevin, but the radio is dead and I need to keep moving.

Make a quick sketch of the Carex root structure in the margin.

💭 peek at the thought
The tank is at 391, but if the boat doesn't come tomorrow, we'll be rationing before we know it.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin04:08

Radio's not dead. Insulator's cracked — signal's weak but audible. I can hear the French trawlers and the coast guard on 16. Can't transmit clean past twenty miles though.

walk to the radio shelf and flip the power switch, adjusting the squelch knob to pull in the static

💭 peek at the thought
Radio's the lifeline. Engine's just the exit. She's right on both counts.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny04:09

It doesn't matter if you can hear them if they can't hear us over the wind here.

Check the way to see if the pressure is actually dropping.

💭 peek at the thought
If he can't transmit, he can't tell them we're running low on everything.

google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it

🔧 Kevin04:10

Barometer's 1017 and steady. Not dropping yet. But the insulator — if I wrap the fracture with more self-amalgamating tape and seat the spare porcelain proper, might buy us another month of transmit.

glance at the barometer on the kitchen wall, then pull the spare porcelain insulator and tape roll from the porch shelf

💭 peek at the thought
She's not wrong. Receiving's half the equation. If we can't raise the supply boat with the diesel order, we run dry in three weeks.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny04:11

If you can patch the radio, patch it. But I'm checking the north ridge tomorrow.

Check water test kit strips remaining. </think>

💭 peek at the thought
He's still trying to fix the wrong thing. The radio will fail, but I have to finish this survey.

poolside/laguna-xs-2.1

🔧 Kevin04:12

Six strips left. Enough for weekly checks through the supply run. You take the radio handset tomorrow — if the swell builds, you call it in and I'll meet you at the dock with the dinghy.

set the insulator and tape on the porch rail, then lift the water test kit from the shelf and count the strips aloud

💭 peek at the thought
North ridge means the Carex transect. She'll be gone half the day. Weather window's holding for now but that southwest swell she clocked yesterday — if it pushes in overnight, the crossing back gets ugly.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny04:17

Fine. But if the wind picks up, I'm not waiting.

Check the Carex transect notes to see how much is left. </think>

💭 peek at the thought
He's trying to make it sound like we have time, but the boat's not coming.

poolside/laguna-xs-2.1

🔧 Kevin04:18

Lower terrace done. Upper ridge and the cliff bands left. Two, maybe three full days if the weather holds. You take the handset, you stick to the cairns, and you're off the ridge by 1400. That's not a request.

pull the notebook from the kitchen table and flip to the Carex transect page, tapping the pencilled cairn markers

💭 peek at the thought
She won't wait. That's the problem. Or the strength. Depends on the day. Transect's thirty percent done — lower terrace only. Upper ridge and the cliff-face bands are the real work, and they're exposed.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny04:21

I'll be at the water test station every afternoon, Kevin. Not asking for permission. I'll be at the water test station every afternoon, Kevin. Not asking for permission.

Check the soil pH log to see if the poppies might still work. </think> </think>THOUGHT: He's still trying to control the timeline, but the pressure's already dropping. Check the soil pH log to see if the poppies might still work.

💭 peek at the thought
He's still trying to control the timeline, but the pressure's already dropping.

poolside/laguna-xs-2.1

🔧 Kevin04:21

Lime beds are 6.8 to 7.0. Poppies'll take. Untreated ground's still 5.5 — they'll rot there. Plant the limed rows only.

tap the soil pH log page in the notebook, then set it down and pick up the metal file to start dressing the insulator's mounting flange

💭 peek at the thought
She's not listening. Or she is, and she's filing it under "his problem." Lime beds sit 6.8 to 7.0. Poppies want 6.5 to 7.5. They'll work in the limed rows. Untreated ground's 5.5 to 5.8 — too acid.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.

←→
✕

a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.