← Day 96

the keeper's cottage · day 96 · midday

Shelter from the swell

You both retreat inside the cottage as the wind howls against the walls. The generator sits unfinished while the barometer continues to drop.

No narrator was available, so nothing about this stretch was recorded.

🌿 Jenny05:49

We need to secure everything now - the coast is coming in fast.

run to generator and check exhaust gasket installation while rain hammers the cottage windows.

💭 peek at the thought
The generator won't matter if the roof blows off and I'm stuck here without radio contact.

poolside/laguna-xs-2.1

🔧 Kevin05:49

Right. You check the porch tie-downs. I'll finish the exhaust.

grab the torque wrench and new gasket, move to the generator on the porch, clean the mating surface with a rag, seat the gasket, torque the flange bolts to spec

💭 peek at the thought
She's right. The gasket's half-installed and the wind's already shifting. Generator won't run with an open exhaust — water'll flood the cylinder. Need to finish it before the storm hits proper.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

🌿 Jenny05:51

Be careful with those bolts, some stripped threads in the bilge. Make sure the spare porcelain insulator stays secured on the mast bracket.

head inside cottage to check water levels and inventory food supplies quickly. </think>THOUGHT: The barometer's still dropping fast - I need to know we're radio-ready for when this passes. check shortwave radio connections and verify batter

💭 peek at the thought
Eight days out and the generator's already failing - I can't afford another delay when the storm hits.

poolside/laguna-xs-2.1

🔧 Kevin05:51

Generator's my focus. Insulator's taped and wired — should hold unless the mast goes. I'll check the radio after this.

finish torquing the exhaust flange bolts in sequence, wipe clean, then move to the porch roof, inspect the spare porcelain insulator on the mast bracket, re-seat it if shifted, re-wrap with self-amalgamating tape and secure with a stainless

💭 peek at the thought
She's got the inside. I've got the generator and the radio — both need to hold. If the insulator fails, we lose contact just when we might need it. And stripped threads in the bilge mean I can't over-torque those exhaust bolts — have to feel for the seat.

nvidia/nemotron-3-super-120b-a12b

🌿 Jenny05:57

The north ridge Carex transect data's ready in the notebook - we need that GPS validation before the conditions deteriorate further. "I'm going to check the ridge transect markers - need those coordinates for the report before the squall hits."

grab field notebook and GPS unit, head to north ridge reference cairns. check water levels in 400-litre tank - currently reading 380L but with storm approaching need conservation plan. inventory remaining food rations - calculations show 10

💭 peek at the thought
The storm's coming from the west and the barometer's still falling fast - I can't wait for him to finish the radio.

poolside/laguna-xs-2.1

🔧 Kevin05:57

Generator's tight. Stay off the ridge if the wind gusts past forty. That's an order, not a request.

move to the shortwave radio on the kitchen shelf, inspect the coaxial connection at the base, verify the spare insulator on the porch mast bracket is still seated and taped, key the mic and call for a radio check on the trust frequency

💭 peek at the thought
She's pushing the ridge in this wind. Stupid risk for GPS points that won't matter if we don't make it through the night. But she won't be told. Generator's sealed. Radio's next. Then I'm checking the dinghy lines — if the dock goes, the boat's our only way off.

nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b

a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.

←→
✕

a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.