Afternoon radio check and ankle assessment
Kevin and Jenny sit on the cottage porch as warm rain hammers the tarp. The barometer reads 984 hPa. Kevin holds the shortwave handset; Jenny's ankle is propped on a crate, bandage fresh, pen marks visible at mid-thigh. The supply boat is twenty-four hours out if the front holds. They need to decide whether to signal medevac now or wait for the boat.
No narrator was available, so nothing about this stretch was recorded.
The pressure is dropping too fast, Kevin. If it hits 980, we have to call them in.
Trace the edge of the red line with a trembling finger.
💭 peek at the thought
google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it
Barometer's dropped three millibars since noon. At this rate we hit 980 by midnight. Helicopter needs two hours from the mainland. That gives us... ninety minutes to decide.
key the shortwave handset and call "Pan-pan, pan-pan, pan-pan. Sorrel Island caretaker station. Medical evacuation request. Position 49°12'N 006°18'W.
💭 peek at the thought
nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b
Tell them I have a persistent fever. Tell them the infection is at the thigh.
Reach for the tin of grandmother's seeds and pull it close to my chest.
💭 peek at the thought
google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it
Patient female, forty. Fever persistent forty-eight hours. Cellulitis right ankle with lymphangitic spread to mid-thigh. Red line marked at thirteen hundred. Two courses antibiotics completed — doxycycline and metronidazole. No improvement. Request immediate medevac. Over.
hold the handset to my ear, waiting for the coastguard acknowledgement, my other hand resting on the porch rail.
💭 peek at the thought
nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b
Tell them the weather is turning. Tell them I can't wait.
Close my eyes and listen to the static on the radio.
💭 peek at the thought
google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it
Weather deteriorating rapidly. Barometer nine-eight-four and falling. Front expected to close channel within six hours. Supply boat twenty-four hours out — will not make it. Patient cannot wait for surface transport. Garden suitable for winch extraction — thirty-by-twenty metres, some turf, wind gusting thirty knots from northwest. Over.
keep the handset keyed, eyes on the barometer needle hovering at 984, the rain hammering the tarp louder now.
💭 peek at the thought
nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b
Tell them the garden is clear. Tell them to come now.
Grip the tin of seeds so hard my knuckles white.
💭 peek at the thought
google/diffusiongemma-26b-a4b-it
Garden landing zone confirmed clear for winch operations. Request immediate launch. Sorrel Island out.
unkey the handset and set it on the porch rail, then reach for the dry bag at my feet — check the medevac forms are still sealed inside, the letter to Tom, seed tin E, spare impeller.
💭 peek at the thought
nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b
Kevin, look at the barometer. It's not holding. It's falling. We don't have time.
Make for the window and touch the glass with a wet palm. </think> Reach for the tin and open it.
💭 peek at the thought
poolside/laguna-xs-2.1
Nine-eight-three. Dropping one every twenty minutes. Helicopter's thirty minutes out if they launched on my call. We have the dry bag. We have the forms. You have the seeds.
stand and pull the porch door wide, scanning the sky toward the mainland — low cloud, rain sheets, no rotor sound yet — then turn back and offer her my arm.
💭 peek at the thought
nvidia/nemotron-3-ultra-550b-a55b
a Lumora Build experiment — live experiment: Kevin & Jenny think on free, open models — what they say is their own.